1981 Hill House, Helensburgh, by Charles Rennie Macintosh

When Charles Rennie Macintosh created the Hill House in Helensburgh, Strathclyde, in 1902-3 for Mr Walter W Blackie, he designed not only the house itself and its decorations both inside and out, but also every detail of the furniture, ornaments, light fittings and fire irons. Grants totalling more than £490,000 enabled the National Trust of Scotland to buy the house, keeping the house in good order and open to the public.